On Tuesday we had a pretty lazy day. After breakfast we went for a short bike ride around Hualien. We stopped at a market and looked around. After that we walked into the city and momentarily considered hiring I scooters again. We decided after a while to head off to a local shopping mall. Kenny wanted lunch at Mos Burger. It's asian fast food with rice hamburgers and the like. I also admit to a fondness for Mos Burger. It's fast food that is probably reasonably healthy. At the shopping centre I bought a tea pot for Charlotte at work. She had preordered one and I saw one I hoped she would like (and she said she did when I presented it to her). Kenny purchased an insulated flask which are all the rage in Taiwan and Hong Kong right now. Then we made a decision that Kenny said he regrets. We got haircuts. I must admit it was a rather severe haircut. I asked for a trim and got a very good old fashioned short back and sides. I quite liked it. Kenny gave rather specific instructions about what sort of cut he wanted - number 4 comb here, a number 2 here etc. And he got exactly the same as me. Which he wasn't too keen on. What do you expect for $NTD100 (about $4 Australian)? He did not take kindly to my question - what's the difference between a good and a bad haircut? A week.
That night we returned to the Hualien night market for dinner. My stomach was improving because I was able to eat over half of the pizza I ordered. I had more watermelon juice and local tea ice cream. Tea ice cream is a real treat.
Wednesday was the Taroko Gorge tour. I visited Taroko Gorge in 2009 and I was really looking forward to today. Tiffany our guide picked usup from our B&B in the morning and our first port of call was Chissington beach and after that the Qingshui Cliffs. At the beach we had time to wander arond. It seems that a popular activity is to erect stone columns - so Kenny did as well.
A lovely day at the beach
Tiffany wih Kenny
Qingshui Cliffs
As you can see, the scenery is stunning. The road up through th Qingshui cliffs was extremely narrow. If you want to do an around Taiwan ride you have to do this sretch - a 100 km ride from Hualien to Suao. It looked quit scary to me. Narrow and dark tunnels with very litle room for trucks to pass a slow bike rider. I think if I return and atempt the whole island that I would stay on the northern outskirts of Hualien and start really early. Like 5 am or so.
After the cliffs we headed to Taroko Gorge. This is one of the natural wonders of the world. We went to Swallow Grotto and lots of other places. I will let the photos do the talking.
The Jin Heng memoral - a famous engineer who died working on the tunnels
Taroko Gorge is a must see if you ever travel to Taiwan. You can do one day tours from Taipei where you fly into Hualien in the morning and catch a train back that night. If you are pressed for time do that. But my personal recommendaton is to contact Tiffany Chang and arrange a personal tour with her. She is really good and will take you places that the other tours don't take you. Her email address is: tiffany_935lk@yahoo.com.tw
Tiffany also has a Facebook page. Just search for Tiffany Chang tour guide in Hualien.
After the tour we arrived back in Hualien at about 4.30 pm. We collected our bikes and Tiffany dropped us at the train station where we boarded our train back to Taipei. Before we left we donated our helmets to the B&B we were staying at. We arrived back in Taipei just after 10 pm and caught a taxi back to Xizhi. it had been a long day, but an incredible one with lots of extremely beautiful sscenery.
Taiwan is such a beautiful islndand Taroko Gorge is one of the jewels.
For the nex few days we will stay in Taipei to spend time with Lin-Hui and Janet and Jennifer. It has ben great travelling for the week or so, but it will be great to spend time with Lin-Hui.

















No comments:
Post a Comment