Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Back to Kaohsiung

Kenny and I took the midday HSR to Kaohsiung today. I said farewell to my friend Lin-Hui and we caught the taxi into the a Taipei Main Train Station.  The boy, Kenny, is getting spoilt as he insisted on travelling business class.  I told him that was reserved for me as a Qantas Club Gold member.  But he threatened me with sabotage on my bike.  So I had to relent. 

This evening we went to two night markets. The first was the  Rueifeng Night Market where we just walked around as we were too early to get any food. This is the market of choice for the locals. Kenny bought a warmer top for the coming days as a cool change is forecast on Thursday. Then we went to the Liouhe Tourist Night Market which was more lively.  Here we bought our dinner from the various food stalls.  And we just mingled with the crowd which appeared to be comprised of large numbers of mainland Chinese tourists.  You can tell because they are much more noisier and pushy than the Taiwanese- who are more reserved and polite. But it was still a great experience. Kenny ate some smelly tofu. Smelly tofu smells terrible but tastes lovely. It's hard to explain the taste but those of you have tried it will know what I mean.  I like it too but I have had a bit of an upset stomach for the last few days and I am keeping the food simple. I had some corn, potato cake with cheese and some ice cream.  Oh, and watermelon juice which was delightful.  

I neglected to take any photos today. Kenny took lots so I will get him to send them to me and maybe post tomorrow. However as most of the photos were of me in embarrassing situations I may have to be very selective.  He needs to remember that it is me who decides who inherits the vast estate in Upper Charnwood.  And right now he ain't getting nothing. Alfred will get it all and my cycling mate Steve Baker may be getting more than the special multi- tool I have bequeathed to him.  By the way Steve, I left that at home.  

Tomorrow we head south on the bikes toward the southern tip of the island.  Our destination is a small town called Fangshang some 70-75 kms south.  I have decided to remain true to the original plan to ride around the beautiful island of Taiwan from Taipei to Hualien. If I don't do it now and I don't get another chance I know I will regret it. 

The scenery will start to get very pretty over the next few days.  So until tomorrow night's post goodnight.  

Happy birthday to my friend in Tokyo, Saori and also to my dad back in Australia.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment