Zhunan in the morning
The cycling gods did exact some mild revenge today. After about 15 or so kms I was feeling pretty miserable as the road I was on had no shade and the sun was beating down. I passed one guy on a bike and a few other riders went past me just as I had stopped at the bottom of a dirty big hill. I stopped because I was feeling lousy and wanted to get some fluids into me before what looked like a long climb in the sun. I was seriously thinking that I might struggle to get to Taichung tonight.
But then fotune smiled upon me. I saw the guy I had passed turn off to the right at the intersection I was stopped at. Maybe he's just a local going home I thought. Then a group of half a dozen did the same thing. Now I knew something was going on so I followed. Wow!! I was rewarded with 45 kms of bicycle paths and quiet back roads. It's called the Maoli Bikeway and in all my research I had not come across it. There was shade, coastal views and most importantly it was much cooler than that oven known as Highway 61. It certainly lifted my spirits when I needed it. Here are some photos. Would you believe that the first photo is a bike only path.
Bike path
Beach and wind turbines
Coastal vista
My bike having a rest
I stopped at a small town called Tongxiao for lunch. A sandwich, banana and iced tea from the 7-11. Then I rejoined the bikeway. I was soft pedalling along the paths at a pretty relaxed pace. I also got my first puncture today. A large bindi. I changed the tube beside a rice paddy.
About 25 kms out of Taichung the bikeway ended at the Giant factory. If you own a Giant your bike may have been made here. Bow in reverence!!
About 25 kms out of Taichung the bikeway ended at the Giant factory. If you own a Giant your bike may have been made here. Bow in reverence!!
The Giant Factory
Then I rejoined the road. I got disoriented and went the wrong way for about 3 kms before I realised I had to turn around. I stopped at another 7-11 for a drink. These shops are amazing - you can buy anything. Apparently you can even ship a bicycle to any other 7-11 in Taiwan. Incredible.
A few more kilometres down the road some members of the Taipei cycling club caught up to me. I rode with them for about 15 kms until the turn off to my hotel. They were riding a 'little' faster than me. But I managed to hold their wheels and had a great ride into Wuqi: a suburb of Taichung. I checked into the Taichung Harbor hotel. This is luxury I could get used to.
All in all a day of challenges. But a day that was also rewarding. I can start to feel the cycling legs starting to work again. Another warm day awaits for the 75-80 km trip to Mailiao.
Total for the day 87 kms at an average of 21.8 km per hour on the bike. There were a few long hills today and while not much more than 4-5% they sure made the legs ache.
Sent from my iPad
Sent from my iPad







No comments:
Post a Comment