Sunday, 17 November 2013

Tour Taiwan Day 6: Tainan to Kaohsiung (56 kms)

Only 50 kms today so no real hurry to get up and riding.  So I slept in and watched a movie on cable TV. Breakfast was a cup of instant milk tea (that Janet and Jennifer had given me), a bread stick and a sort of croissant.

I bid farewell to Mr Chung and started out riding along once again my sometimes friend Hwy 17.  From the start I could tell this was not going to be a great day.  My legs were telling me they didn't want to ride a bike today.  Oh well, just amble along and take each kilometre at a time. It was time, as I once told Alfred when we were out touring and he started complaining, to "shut up and suffer in silence".

So long Beautiful Tainan


Goodbye to - not welcome to - Tainan City



About 18 or 20 kms down the road I stopped for a break and some fuel.  Top of the menu was a can of cold coffee.  I actually first thought of having a beer in honour of my friend yesterday.  But wisely did not.

Mr Brown's coffee in a can


Actually, maybe I should have gone for the beer.  It was this coffee in a tin can that might have upset my stomach because a few kilometres up the road I had to make a mad dash for a secluded bush for, well ......

A full 35 kms into the ride I stopped again. This time at a 7-Eleven for an egg and lettuce sandwich and a peach iced tea.  I sat around lazily surfing the net and making use of the free wifi that every 7-Eleven seems to have here in Taiwan.  In fact almost every coffee shop, convenience store and hotel has free wifi here.  How I love Taiwan!!

There weren't too many stretches of cycle path today.  But here is a side road that only bicycles and scooters are allowed on.  It ran next to the coast and the view was so pretty.


Fisherman


Another 10 kms and I entered Kaohsiung. I have to admit my focus was more on navigation as I did not really take any photos of entering Kaohsiung City.  In fact I should have focused even more on navigation because I took a wriong turn and started heading back north to Tainan.  Thankfully google maps got me back on course and only cost was 2-3 kms.  At least getting lost saved me one problem. Getting in early.  I actually arrived at 3 PM on the dot.  I checked  into the Kaohsiung Bike Hostel and here I am.  This is really a youth Hostel and I booked it because it's a cycling hostel.  But I think I am used to a little more luxury than they provide.  Not that there is anything wrong with it at all.  If I were 25 again I think I would be in my element. Still the people are friendly and there are plenty of restaurants nearby.  I Just hope that the young people don't party all night and I can get some sleep.  I can hear a few of then having a bit of a party now.  Yes, I have turned into the grumpy old guy I always said I would never become. My god, listen to me!

Solar farm just outside Kaohsiung


Tomorrow it's back to Taipei on the High Speed Rail.  My son Kenny arrives in a few days and after a few days we will continue the journey together.  So until about 26 November there will be no bike touring, although we are likely to go for a few rides around Taipei.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Taiwan!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment